Sunday, August 24, 2008

"I'm really sorry Aubrey!"

I really feel bad when my child has to go to the Dr. when she is hurt, but I feel just AWEFUL when it was my fault!
Aubrey was laying on the floor at our house after church and I told her to do something, she wasn't minding me so I pulled her up by one arm - this made her cry (not unusual right?) Well, she kept crying (which is a little unusual) then after she stopped crying, she started up again whenever I would move her left arm (VERY unusual - and alarming) I started to feel just terrible about the whole thing. I hand fed her, then put her down for her nap, then called the "on call nurse" for Aubrey's Dr. - she advised me to come soon because Aubrey's Dr. just happened to be at the diagnostic clinic (she was "on call" on a Sunday which was sweet)

Her Dr. told me not to worry, Aubrey just had Nursemaid's Elbow.
"What is that?" you ask

Nursemaid elbow is a common injury among preschool-aged children. Referring to a condition in which a child's elbow bones get partially pulled out of joint and do not line up normally. The injury can occur innocently from swinging a young child by the arms or pulling a child's arm while in a hurry (which is what I did). It is a temporary condition without permanent effects, it can be quite frightening to parents who find their child lacking the ability to use his or her upper arm.

How was it treated?
Aubrey sat in my lap while Dr. Roberts checked her arm out. She then straightened her arm out forward with her palm upwards, then bent her elbow so her hand touched the top of that same shoulder. THAT WAS IT! It worked like a charm. Aubrey's relief was instantaneous. Sheeew - Then, I stopped feeling horrible for doing this to my sweet, little Aubrey and relaxed. We then went to Sonic to get Aubrey a shake of her choice - she got chocolate but ended up switching with her daddy and had a strawberry-banana smoothie.

I am posting this to help others who may come across this common occurrence with their child. Hopefully this post will help you to avoid this from happening all together OR at least not get too worked up once it does happen.
Click here for more specific instructions on how it is treated by a professional. I hope this never happens again, but if it does, I probably wont freak out and cry to my mom, husband and a friend.

5 comments:

  1. I love the illustrations. And I especially love your choice of words to bold.
    This kind of reminds me of the time I knocked Scoopie's eye out of socket. . . she was misbehaving and I popped her on the head, and the next thing I know we're calling the emergency after-hours vet because our dog's eye has gone wonky and it was my fault! They told us it was Petsitters Eyeball, quite common among young German Shorthairs and would be fine in 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both Kinzie and Jaksonid's had nursemaid's elbow!!! I don't know how many elbows I had popped back into place!! Just call if I can ever help:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted a call to CPS Statewide Intake. Someone will be out to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ the busseys - thanks for making me feel better
    @ the nortons - I wish I had called you from the get-go. I will for sure be calling you in the future!
    @ drew! - I thought about calling you because I figured you could just slip my file under the rug. Also, I wanted to tell you this story in case you happen to run across something like this with your girls or while you are out investigating. Just wanted you to know that it CAN happen innocently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooohhhhhhh (slight chuckle) bless your heart!!! i can imagine how you felt! glad it turned out to be an easy fix! smoothies make everything better!!!! :)

    stacey (i'm on my folks computer)

    ReplyDelete