Thursday, September 18, 2008

Give me sugar water!!

Just thought I'd share some pictures of hummingbirds who have migrated to my block. I took these pictures in my neighbor's yard (with her permission of course). I was anticipating taking a clean shot of one hummingbird but I was so happy to see a whole group of them vegging out on sugar water at the bird feeder.

I was fascinated by these little creatures. Here are a few interesting (well, what I consider interesting) facts about Hummingbirds:

- The heart rate for a hummingbird is about 1260 beats per minute.

- Hummingbirds can fly right, left, up, down, backwards, even upside down.

- Most hummingbirds flap their wings about 50 or so times a second.

- Hummingbirds lift from perches without pushing off; they rise entirely on their own power, flapping their wings at almost full speed before lifting off.


(note: check out the little lizard - I think he is jealous of these beautiful birds)

3 comments:

  1. these pictures are awesome! Hummingbirds are a sign of a good ecosystem. You are special if they hang in your 'hood. They won't show up everywhere, even if tempted by sugarwater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures. They look professional. I think hummingbirds are cool little creatures. I have tried to have feeders before (in VA) and they never came around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome pictures!!!!! hummingbirds are so fascinating to me too! they are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete