Monday, January 18, 2010

Less of me is more.

I want to share something God has placed on my heart. I should relax and focus more on my kids - my husband - home and less on everything else, including myself. I am mainly talking about the time and energy I give to these things. It has been easy for me to stray away from kids/husband/home (with my time) and follow selfish desires like me wanting to talk to my friends, me wanting to browse my emails, check out my google reader, do my workout, my, my, my. Seriously, when I go to bed and the end of the day, what my stuff is going to be fulfilling? I'm not saying that my stuff is bad. I need my time but when am I taking my time?
Angie sent me this link after I shared with her my heart about this matter and it was put so perfectly.
I seriously doubt God is pleased by some of the choices I have made in a day. We are constantly faced with decisions (especially as parents) to choose our priorities. Thinking of what benefits our kids should absolutely be towards the top of our list under serving God (which coincidentally ties into focusing on our family)
This is easier said than done. I struggle with "self" on a day by day basis.
My prayer is to no longer see "self" but to simply be the person God intends for me to be. Someone who possesses His characteristics. I desire to be a wife who is gracious and steadfast, a devoted mother who is stern, considerate, compassionate and loving - a homemaker who is hospitable and who takes ownership and pride in her home.

As I typed the last few lines, an old hymn popped into my head. I think it is appropriate and I pray it is always my desire:

Have Thine Own Way
Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Thou art the potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after thy will,
while I am waiting, yielded and still.

Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Hold o'er my being absolute sway.
Fill with thy Spirit till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me!


I leave you with a couple of videos of our kids. Aubrey says the Pledge of Allegiance in the bathtub and Pete laughs at a silly ball. THIS is what fills my heart with joy at just the remembrance of it.


2 comments:

  1. Amen sista!
    (Although, I really think you're one of the most self-less people I know...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:15 PM

    You are a beautiful, selfless, woman of God. Us women are skilled in the art of juggling. I am so happy you are listening to your convictions, and the fact that you even have them!
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete