Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Steeped in Old-timey Material

Memaw asked if me and my siblings would sing for her birthday. We did "Hide Thou Me." A classic with our group. And yes, we have been steeped in old-timey Southern Gospel music. We started singing together when I was 6 or 7. I am about to be 30.
Singing has come pretty natural to me and my siblings and I believe it is because we have been around music all of our lives. My mom and dad sang in a group together even before we were born and sang in church a lot. I loved listening to them! Mom plays the piano beautifully by ear. I am spoiled because I can just sing a song one time for her and she can play it almost instantly. My dad had the most beautiful voice! Truly amazing.

(Dad & Mom pictured far left)

They were always so supportive of us singing and so proud. They would even convince us to stand up and sing for family at reunions.

We did travel a lot and sing at various churches growing up.
(NOTE: not my proudest picture but I am practicing a little humility today:)
I can't begin to think of how many churches we have attending to do specials at. Either my mom was the best agent ever or the word just spreads amongst churches and friends when there are four young kids who can harmonize. I am thankful that God gave us each talents in this area and give Him all the glory for it. I absolutely love to sing with family and I think it has brought us closer together.
Thought I would share the song we sang for Memaw, enjoy:

Left to right: Amy (the youngest), Andrea (me), Aaron (the oldest), Drew (my twin brother). I love my family and I treasure this video. NOTE: in this video we were pretty distracted by all the kids and happenings going on behind the camera. Good times. Made my Memaw cry.

2 comments:

  1. Dre - that video was awesome! It has been such a long time since I have heard the 4 of you sing together! Also, Memaw looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just awesome, dre! So glad you have this to keep. Looking back through your blog it looks like you've been on memory lane a lot lately. I LOVE the photos of your dad. What an incredible dad!
    Love you, Silverthornes!
    mm

    ReplyDelete